There are many ways to trim up watermelon, the beloved summer fruit and featured item during the upcoming Melon Dash 5K/10K/Fun Run. This cumbersome fruit can make a mess of your countertops if you do not have a plan in place. Here is the most straightforward way to take care of that large rind. And always, watch that your fingers don’t get in the way!
What you need:
- Paper towels
- Sharp Knife
- Cutting Board
- Large Bowl
1. Place watermelon on cutting board. Start by removing a half-inch off the top and bottom of the watermelon. (This way, if you place it on top or bottom, it won’t roll away)
2. Stand the watermelon on one of the flat-cut sides. Using a sharp knife, starting from the top and following the contour of the watermelon, carefully slice the skin off. Peel like an apple
3. Continue to peel the rind from the watermelon, taking off two to three-inch-wide pieces of the rind. Be sure to cut deep enough to see only the flesh. Discard rind and wipe up excess juice with paper towels.
4. Cut the watermelon in half to make it more manageable
5. Take one half of peeled watermelon and slice into proportionate cubes. Place cubes in a bowl. Repeat for the other half of the watermelon.
6. Clean up excess juice from countertop/cutting board and ENJOY!