These pancakes are a weekday favorite for us. I have played around with the flour proportions and have found that a 2:1, whole wheat/white flour, creates a fluffy pancake with a little extra nutrition.
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ cup all purpose flour
3 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 ¼ cups milk
3 tablespoons butter, melted + more for cooking pancakes
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt & sugar together in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center and pour in the liquid ingredients – milk, egg, melted butter & vanilla.
- Mix until smooth. If batter appears to be too thick, add in a tablespoon of water, repeat if necesssary.
- Lightly butter or oil a griddle or frying pan and heat on medium-high.
- Pour batter on griddle using about ¼ cup of the batter for each pancake. Once the middle of the pancake begins to bubble, flip it and brown the other side.
***optional additions – blueberries, pecans, m&ms, chocolate chips
****optional toppings – syrup, butter, peanut butter, whipped cream