At the end of the run, you will have the opportunity to sign up as a potential stem cell donor with DKMS US.
DKMS US is part of the world’s largest stem cell donor center. Every day DKMS is facilitating 21 stem cell transplants from the pool of over 10.7 million potential lifesavers globally. DKMS has a presence in Germany, the UK, the US, Poland, India, Chile and South Africa..
In the United States, every three minutes, someone is diagnosed with a form of blood cancer. For many, the only cure is a blood stem cell transplant. Only about 30 percent of these patients are able to find a compatible donor in their families, while the remaining 70% must rely on a stranger to be a lifesaving donor.
The mission of DKMS is to recruit as many donors as possible to provide second chances at life for those fighting blood cancer and blood disorders. They do this by creating awareness, recruiting donors to provide a second chance at life, raising funds to cover donor registration costs, and supporting the improvement of blood cancer therapies by research.
DKMS supports patients from day one of their diagnoses, providing family and friends with a positive way to get involved by organizing donor drives that can enhance the patient’s search, rally community support, and provide hope.
Every year 15,000 new searches are initiated for patients who need stem cell transplants from a perfect stranger. They depend on the national donor pool to find their perfect match. DKMS works tirelessly to not only add more people to the donor pool but to diversify the pool so that patients from all different backgrounds have an opportunity to find their hero.
Go to https://dkmsgetinvolved.org/virtualDrive/run-project to sign up as a potential donor or stop by the DKMS SWAB station at Too Hot to Handle to #getswabbed!
CAPTION: Patients, like Texas’ own Lillian, are in search of their life saving donor.
Over 80,000 DKMS donors are registered in the state of Texas and are on standby to help patients in need. Texans have helped 320 patients get a second chance at life through stem cell donation. Donors like Sterling Walker stepped up when they received the call. Now his recipient will be able to spend more time with their family and friends.
Thanks to the Run Project’s donations, we are able to provide more patients with second chances. Here’s how you too can get involved in our mission to save lives.
To become a potential donor visit: dkms.org/register
To make a financial contribution please visit: dkms.org/give